Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Web 2.0 Google Talk - Update

Well, Google Talk is quite slick. Michelle and I spoke tonight using the tool, and we were both surprised at how well it worked. On my end, I was most amazed that Google Talk bypasses my company firewall. I was logged onto my work system remotely, but it was able to function just fine in terms of traffic not getting blocked. The service is very similar to IM - but in additiono to being able to talk via typing, you can use your computers microphone and carry on a voice conversation. I would say that this is a must have tool as it allows conversation across corporate boundaries. I am going to load up skype next and see how that performs. This tool gets a grade of an A, as we have come to expect from Google.

2 comments:

Mark said...

I have not used Google Talk, but I have used Skype and it works well (however they now charge). I used it several years ago to talk to friend that was working as Project Manager in Northern Iraq. We where both on satellite Internet links, but the VoIP technology worked well.

Chadwick said...

Mark, I have used skype before. Are they charging for computer-to-computer? That used to be free. I liked Skype, but they got blocked at work, so I needed an alternative. They are on my list of items to go check out in this class.